The five-week strike by Metrobus drivers may have ended, SABC radio news reported on Tuesday night.
President of the SA Municipal Workers Union, Petros Mashishi, told the SABC that striking bus drivers and their management had reached an agreement.
"The Metrobus [dispute], I dont have the details, they've settled," Mashishi told the broadcaster.
Earlier on Tuesday, Samwu and Metrobus agreed to resume talks to end inudstrial action, after a meeting convened by Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane.
Mokonyane last week met the leadership of the Johannesburg City Metro and committed the Provincial Government to assisting the parties resolve their differences and forge healthy working relationships.
On Tuesday, the two parties met and expressed their willingness and commitment in finding a lasting solution to the issues raised.
Mokonyane said she was encouraged by the optimism displayed by both sides.
"I think the parties genuinely want to close this unfortunate chapter in their relations and go back to what they know how to do best - providing quality public transport for the people of this world class city."
Makonyane said she was confident that the planned municipal workers strike scheduled to take place on Thursday could be averted. - Sapa
Published on www.iol.co.za : May 26 2009